Welcome to the 2020-21 school year. I hope that all of you had a restful summer. Personally, I was able to spend a lot of time with my family- Nora is getting so big. I was told that now that she is two and a half I can’t call her baby Nora any more. We spent quite a bit of time working on the house and exploring bike trails and parks close to home this year, although we had an extend trip for some hiking in Colorado.
School is already two weeks in and I hope that the patterns are starting to fall into place. I tell the students all the time, but I love the energy of getting us all together in a space to play and discuss music. Even though we are not starting the year in one space we are already preparing pieces for our first concert- virtual or staged it will be great!
Every month I will post a newsletter with information on events, extra ways to participate, and general information for the next month. Outside of the newsletter I might have some extra information that I email out. I promise that when I email it will be important, so please read!
I look forward to seeing all of you at parent night coming in a couple of weeks, but if you have any questions don’t hesitate to email me and I will see what I can do to help.
LZHS Orchestra Director
See below for important beginning of the year information:
- Bear Strings starts next week on Thursday from 3:20-4:30. Bear strings is open to all orchestra students and is a non-auditioned ensemble that focuses on pop, and other nontraditional styles of music. More information and the official zoom link to come.
- Parents of freshman boys, and boys who grew: Don’t forget to get your men’s tux shirt. This year it is up to students to purchase their own tux shirts in time for the October concert. A possible option is this shirt from Hobby Lobby. I know that we don’t need this right now, but hopefully soon, so plan ahead if you like.
- ILMEA Signup is currently going on. Please fill out the form to register. There will also be a $10 fee for the audition. I am not sure how that will be collected. Register and I will get back to you. Sign-up is due by Friday, September 13. All ILMEA participants must participate in at least one help session or you will not be allowed to participate. You should email/talk with Mr. S about working during our Friday asynchronous time.
You can find the specific information about content and how the audition will work here:
- I would encourage you to add the orchestra calendar to your personal calendar. The calendar is all over the orchestra blog, and it will always be the most up to date. This year things are somewhat fluid, so some dates might change, but as of right now that is the information that we have.
- Orchestra Board Nominations are due by Tuesday next week. Students have registration information in their Canvas pages.