Welcome to the 2019-20 school year. I hope all of you had a restful and enjoyable summer. I am so excited for a year packed with fantastic opportunities for everybody. Every month you can expect a newsletter to be posted here.
See below for important beginning of the year information:
- Bear Strings starts this week on Thursday from 3:20-4:30. Bear strings is open to all orchestra students and is a non-auditioned ensemble that focuses on pop, and other non traditional styles of music.
- Join HOPE for our first board meeting of the year on Wednesday, 9/4 starting at 5:30 in the orchestra room. We will begin planning for events for the whole year. Come and volunteer your time!
- Join HOPE and the orchestra in celebrating the new year on Friday, 9/6 with our 4th annual kick off picnic at Breezewald Park from 4-6. Sign-up here
- The school is selling year signs again this year. I would encourage everybody to purchase one for their front yard. How cool would it be to have streets filled with orchestra yard signs? They are only $30 and proceeds go back to LZHS. Please fill out the attached form and return it to the school.
- Parents of freshman boys, and boys who grew: Don’t forget to get your men’s tux shirt. This year it is up to students to purchase their own tux shirts in time for the October concert. A possible option is this shirt from Hobby Lobby.
- ILMEA Signup is currently going on. Please fill out the form and bring in your $12 to cover your audition cost. Sign-up is due by Friday, September 13. All ILMEA participants must participate in at least one help session or you will not be allowed to participate. You can sign up for a help session here.
- I would encourage you to add the orchestra calendar to your personal calendar. The calendar is all over the orchestra blog, and it will always be the most up to date calendar.
- Symphony students should get their trip to Augustana College forms in right away to make sure we have the correct number of rooms reserved. The overnight trip is from 9/26-9/27. We will be home by 6:30PM so students should be able to attend the football game if they need to go.
I will have more information for you about the rest of the year in our September newsletter. I am so excited about the great performance and learning opportunities for orchestra this year. I hope to see everybody soon, but please feel free to reach out to me by email if you have any questions.
LZHS Orchestra Director